Community Forestry Coordinator - Full Time - Non Exempt
Canopy is an urban and community forestry nonprofit with a track record of delivering high quality, innovative, and impactful programs in the San Francisco Midpeninsula. Our vision is a day when every resident of the Midpeninsula can step outside to walk, play, and thrive under the shade of healthy trees. Canopy staff and volunteers strive toward excellence, equity, collaboration, and gratitude in the work we do, and welcome candidates that share these values. We are seeking a hard-working and dedicated person to join our team.
Under the direction of the Tree Programs Director, the Community Forestry Coordinator will be responsible for leading Canopy’s tree programs in Palo Alto and Mountain View, primarily by organizing tree planting and stewardship activities with key partners. The ideal candidate will be able to set and meet ambitious program goals, effectively balance office work and fieldwork, and collaborate on shared goals with teammates. This position is an excellent opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of urban forestry, to work collaboratively with others, and to affect positive change in our communities and the environment. Work week preferably Tuesday through Saturday, with occasional early mornings and evenings.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Primarily responsible for managing Canopy’s tree planting programs in Palo Alto and Mountain View, including:
- Engage individual residents and get them excited about planting trees at their homes and in their community.
- Recruit community groups and individuals to become tree champions and work with them to organize tree planting events, occasionally with a post-planting potluck/celebration.
- Coordinate volunteers, support staff, and logistics related to hosting tree plantings.
- Collaborate with communications and outreach staff to produce public information for the program, and creatively seek out partnerships throughout Canopy service areas.
- Coordinate tree care needs in Palo Alto and Mountain View with Canopy’s tree programs staff.
- Organize and coordinate Palo Alto’s annual summer young tree inventory, the Young Tree Care Survey.
- Report program outcomes to communications and fundraising staff, and clients and funders.
- Support colleagues with some planting events in other cities (Eg. East Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Redwood City).
- Assist with special events, education, and tablings/outreach that relate to work in Palo Alto and Mountain View.
- Assist with and volunteer training, appreciation, and retention efforts.
- Help with special projects or tasks depending on skills and interests.
Qualifications and Experience
- Strong interest in trees and access to urban nature; willingness to memorize tree-specific information
- Knowledge and/or experience in arboriculture, horticulture, urban forestry, landscape management, design, or related fields
- Experience managing programs or projects that met goals and deadlines effectively
- Experience organizing and motivating others; volunteer coordination experience is a plus
- Experience using an online database, such as Salesforce and GIS or similar databases, since this position requires the use of our online tree map (Tree Plotter) and Salesforce database
- Comfortable with Google Suite and Microsoft Office
- CA Drivers License and several years of driving experience
- Bilingual in Spanish/English is a plus, Mandarin a plus
- Outgoing and engaging, with outstanding interpersonal skills
- Exceptional communicator (verbal and writing) with staff, partners, and the public
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks independently and as part of a team
- Highly organized, attentive to details, and committed to producing quality results
- Self-starter who can proactively solve problems and improve programs
Physical Activity Requirements
- Ability to sit and type frequently
- Ability to bend, squat, stoop, and stand for long periods of time, regularly
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs., occasionally
- Driving to and around neighborhoods where work is being performed
- Annual salary $47,000 - $50,000
- Medical/dental/vision insurance, sick leave and generous vacation time
- Canopy values professional growth and opportunities for professional development
Email résumé and short cover letter addressed to Elise Willis, Tree Programs Director with the subject header, "Community Forestry Coordinator". Accepting applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Equal opportunity employer: Canopy strives to engage, celebrate, and reflect the rich diversity of the communities we serve. We value inclusion and equity in our programs, leadership, and hiring practices.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $47,000.00 - $50,000.00 per year
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- One location
- Multiple locations
This Job Is:
- Open to applicants who do not have a high school diploma/GED
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
Please mention that you come from SellForThem
when applying for this job.